Sylvie Vachon with the Premier of Quebec in Germany
President and CEO of the Montreal Port Authority (MPA) Sylvie Vachon is pleased to accompany Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard on a visit to the Port of Hamburg, Germany, along with executives of the shipping company Hapag-Lloyd.
This economic mission is a great opportunity for the Port of Montreal to meet with its business partners and underscore the importance of the Government of Quebec’s Maritime Strategy with them.
Sylvie Vachon is accompanied by Tony Boemi, Vice-President, Growth and Development of the MPA, Michael Fratianni, Chief Executive Officer of Montréal Gateway Terminals and by Wolfgang Schoch, Hapag-Lloyd’s Managing Director for Canada.
Read the press release from the Quebec government on the visit to the Port of Hamburg (in French only).
Read the press release from the Quebec government on the first anniversary of the Maritime Strategy (in French only)
The Port supports many summer projects in its community
Again this summer, the Port of Montreal is one of the financial partners of Village au Pied-du-Courant as part of its community investment policy. Village au Pied-du-Courant is located between Notre-Dame Street and the St. Lawrence River, at the bottom of Parthenais and Fullum streets, overlooking the Port of Montreal’s railway tracks.
All summer long, this original project offers the public a window on the river and on Port facilities in pleasant, friendly surroundings. Open Thursday to Sunday, the Village hosts a craft market and art exhibitions, live music and film screenings, and yoga classes and activities for children.
The Port of Montreal supports several other summer projects, including many for its neighbouring community:
- The family festival, Fête des familles de Mercier-Est
- The family festival, Fête de la famille de Hochelaga-Maisonneuve
- The kayak challenge, Défi Kayak, benefiting an organization for young musicians, the Jeunes musiciens du monde (JMM)
- Heritage cruises: Croisières patrimoniales de Rivière-des-Prairies-Pointe-aux-Trembles
- Vélopousse pedicab tours: Youth from Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve give guided tours of their neighbourhood’s historic and architectural landmarks.
- ÉcoMaris: Training course aboard a sail training vessel on the St. Lawrence River for youth trying to find themselves.
- The Finale des Jeux du Québec 2016
Tony Boemi reappointed President of Cruise the St. Lawrence Association
Tony Boemi, Vice-President, Growth and Development, has had his term as President of the Cruise the St. Lawrence Association (CSLA) extended for a period of two years. The Executive Board met on May 26 just before the CSLA’s annual meeting.
The main mandate of Cruise the St. Lawrence is to clearly position the St. Lawrence as a destination with international cruise companies.
The association strives to guide and consolidate the development efforts of partners and ports of call to build a real “Cruise the St. Lawrence” brand image. There are nine ports of call along the St. Lawrence River from Montreal to the Magdalen Islands.
Continued success to Tony Boemi in his role as President of the CSLA!